Choosing To Live Organic

So I know there are still many skeptics out there that question the organic living lifestyle.  As family of 6, we choose organic living because of three main reasons:

1. Health & Wellbeing

2. Disease prevention (food is healing)

3. Longevity

When we use beauty products such as lotions, body soaps, daily hygiene products such as toothpaste and feminine hygiene products and makeup do we read the ingredients on the back label?  When we buy produce and visit the seafood and meat section, do we know the source and how they are raised? Farmed versus wild caught salmon? Honestly when I was in my teens, the answer is no.  However, once I reached my 20’s I begin to wonder why my shampoo would sting my eyes, why my lotions would irritate my skin and were those lines on the chicken breast natural? Were these allergies/skin sensitivities I had to an ingredient, or were these products and foods really not that great for me?  So I started reading up on toxicity of everyday products and boy was I onto something.  Here’s the thing, when you have a husband in the healthcare field, you know that the human body requires quality care and activity in order to stay healthy. We are not specially engineered so we should not need to specially engineer our food or consumbales!  Yes you heard me, I m referring to GMO (genetically Modified organisms).  Why is that countries have a “need” to add fillers, enhance flavors, colors and artificial ingredients into our foods?   Does it make the foods more attractive md appetizing? Yes, sure but is it good for our bodies?  The answer is no. Do we need to ingest pesticides in our produce?  Do we need to breathe in toxic chemicals from our cleaning supplies? For my family and I, the clear and obvious answer is NO.  As a mom of 4, my immediate worry is any dangers that pose in any forms of hygeine products, household products and foods that we consume.  My job is to care for my family and when I do not do my research, how am I going to protect my family?

Take a look at this infographic below

Understanding USDA Organic or “Certified Organic

According to the USDA if a product has a USDA Organic label on it it means that the item must have an ingredients list and the contents should be 95% or more certified organic.

This means free of synthetic additives like pesticides, chemical fertilizers, dyes and must not be processed using industrial solvents, irradition, or genetic. The remaining 5% my only be foods or processed with additives on an approved list. You my also see labels that red 100% Organic, which men’s all the ingredients MUST meet the USDA Organic guidelines or “made with organic” which men 70% or more organic ingredients. The USDA seal cannot be used anywhere on the package and the remaining 30% of the ingredients cannot be foods or processed with additives on. A special exclusion list.

Nutritional Value

Now many argue the nutritional value of consuming organic food and so far my research shows no difference in nutritional value.

How do pesticides and synthetic chemicals affect me?

Pesticides and synthetic chemicals are known to be toxic and carcinogenic to humans. My best advice is ensure you do your research before you make a purchase.

The Think Dirty App is a great resource. It allows you to see all the potentially toxic ingredients of cosmetic and personal care products you search for.

When shopping for foods, read the back labels. When we as consumers show our demand of organic goods, producers and manufacturers will want to meet this need.

Let us shift our buying habits to support a clean environment, encourage companies to produce better quality products foods that are free of toxic and harmful carcinogens that enable us to live happy, healthy and fulfilling lives.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s